*DISCLAIMER ~ These are MY thoughts on MY pregnancy, on MY blog.*
This pregnancy has been so different than when I was pregnant with Nathan. I had read that every pregnancy was different, but I wasn't expecting all the changes with this one. I don't know if it had something to do with my age (I'm no spring chicken), or the fact that I got pregnant so soon after having Nathan, or both . . . or if it is just different just because.
Like I've stated before, most of the time I forget I'm pregnant. Too busy with my eldest and trying to keep up the household duties (which I feel I fail at most of the time). *side note, if you come to my house and it's dusty, it's not because I haven't dusted . . . its because 30 seconds after I dust it comes back ~ the joys of living in the desert. * However, I feel him move all the time, I see him move all the time. I love him already, and am anxious to see how different or similar he is to Nathan. I wonder if he will be a better sleeper, or if he is going to have the same energy he has while I carry him. Will he have the Peregoy blonde hair, blue eyes, or will he have the brown on brown, or a mixture like his brother? Will we eventually choose the right name that suits him?
Then there's the questions about labor/delivery. Will he be too big? Will it be fast like Nathan's, or will it take forever? What are we going to do with Nathan? Who will watch him? What if we aren't home when it's his bedtime - I've never left him overnight before, for that matter I've never left him more than a couple of hours. Will Nathan be okay? Will I be okay?
It was about a month and half ago that I found out I was low on Iron (which was similar to my pregnancy with Nathan), and that I also needed to take thyroid medication. Since I've been on both, my energy level has come back and I am in less back/hip pain. It's been such a relief. Then, about a month ago I had my Glucose Tests done. (I passed with flying colors with Nathan, so I really wasn't worried with this one.) I ended up failing my 1 hour test, so went back in for the 3 hour test.
No one really tells you how awful it is. They don't tell you that besides fasting, which is hell when you are pregnant, that you can't have any fluids during the test and that the four times they draw your blood (one before the sugary drink and then one every hour after) will hurt more and more as you get more and more dehydrated. I was in tears as I left the lab ~ sat in the car for 5 minutes and cried AND ate a granola bar. But I still wasn't worried.
THEN, I got the news. I have Gestational Diabetes. I'm sorry, what? Me? I can't have that. I didn't have it with Nathan. No one in my family has diabetes. I'm eating healthier than I did with my pregnancy with Nathan. I just don't understand. There is such a stigma with GD, at least I had one. The news broke me. I felt like such a failure, that somehow I put my unborn child at risk, something that ultimately I had no choice in. After a couple of days of sadness/depression and LOTS of research (& lots of support from family & friends) I snapped out of it and realized that I can do this. My doctor wanted to try to see if we could get my sugar levels under control with just diet (no meds). So we tried it for a week, and all looked good. Then it was another 2 weeks (my appointment was today) and still all looks good. Praise Jesus!
The worst part of all of this is the pricking of the finger. It really sucks! I can live with minimal carbs and very little sugar for the remainder of this pregnancy, but the testing 4 times a day is no bueno.
The benefit to all this, is my weight is actually staying in one place (according to the doctors scale I haven't gained any weight in 3 weeks. The baby is still measuring right on track (not too big). AND we will most likely be induced at 39 weeks, which means a planned birth, so we will be able to get all our ducks in a row and my mom will not have to speed to get here :). Yes, I know anything can still happen, but right now I rest knowing that God has this under control and it's one less thing that I need to worry about.
So, with all this being said, please know that I don't need any more advice, but we covet your prayers for a continued healthy baby, a healthy delivery and that everything falls into place.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.